Ana Karenina is part of our #Support Local series. She shares her cochinita pibil recipe with us at Sayulita Insider, where we witnessed how she prepared this traditional dish from her state. Watch the full video here.
Cochinita Pibil Recipe
Cochinita pibil is a traditional Mexican slow-roasted pork dish from the Yucatán Peninsula.
- Pressure cooker
- 1 kilo pork
- 100 grams achiote paste
- 1 liter orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Blend achiote with aromatic herbs, sour orange and salt
- Put the meat in a tupperware with the achiote mixture and marinate for at least 2 hours
- If it is going to be done in an oven, wrap the meat in banana leaf and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 200ºC for 2 hours or until the meat is completely cooked.
- If using pressure cooker, cook with banana leaf for 45 minutes or until the valve starts to sound.
- Once the meat is cooked, shred the Cochinita. The hotter it is, the better because the pieces are finer.